Sunday, February 19, 2012

God, Dog, the Connection

It's now Sunday. We've had Tasha since Thursday night. I have been looking for another dog for a few weeks now.  We have had several tragedies since we've moved to "the Phoenix".  I didn't realize what a wild place this is under it's thin veneer of civilization.  Years ago, when I visited I could almost hear the land saying to humans, "Try and tame me, I dare you". Apparently I didn't listen too deeply, otherwise maybe I would have thought twice.  However, we had no family left in the beautiful place called Kansas City, so it was time to move on. Our childrne chose to move to  the west, so the west it was.  I sort of half jokingly say that this place is nothing but pain and sharpness. The plants have thorns, the coyotes eat small domestic animals and the whole place cries out "I WILL CUT YOU"....(said in ghetto talk)



 
But I digress.

We have had Tasha for only a little while and already I am deeply in love. When my husband brought her home I was on the phone with my best friend and little sister.  It was a Thursday night and I was ready for a four day weekend.  I had been looking at rescue dogs for a while, almost obsessively.  Nothing seemed to work out and I was honestly, becoming a little overwhelmed.




 Yet my husband came through.  As I was talking on the phone, having a great time with my sis, I headr him come in. But before I saw him, I saw this longish, mutt, with a sort of smashed in face and a body that seemed a bit too long for her face with a curled tail .  She was  sort of odd looking, but in a cute way. Now of course, I think she's stunning. Even as I write, I feel the love that I have for her deep in my heart. She is lying on the doggie bed in the living room, sleeping peacefully.  I can't tell you how content that makes me feel.





 She is an eight month old baby who is half pug, half Aussie.   I think she looks like she has a bit of pit in her too. She is so respectful of Lexy, our queen dog.  Lexy acts like she just tolerates her, but I know she loves the company.





 I know my Lexy.  Lexy is a beautiful American Eskimo with perhaps a bit of Pomeranian in her, but mostly American Eskimo.






We've had her 12 years now.  When I brought her home from the church where I attended and had a school, my husband said that it was either her or him.  I chose her, and he chose to stay. We already had two male dogs.  One was the alpha dog, Mike, who had lots of chow in him and lots of Benji.  The other, our gentle giant, was part Chow, part Retriever. Mike lived for at least 14 years.  I dreamed of his death a year before he died.  He died almost exactly how I dreamed he would.  It was, needless to say, extremely painful for my husband and myself. Murray, our gentle giant, was euthanized this last June.  It was the most difficlult thing I've ever done in my life.





 And lexy, our little white princess, who is now Queen, was left.  She was actually depressed when Murray was euthanized.  The vet came to our home for the 'act'. Murray hated to go to the vet, so our amazing vet came to us.  He had a good last day with a huge roast beef sandwich with a milk shake to wash it down.  Lexy watched everything from the bottom of the dining room table.  She even watched the vet carry his body out to the van.  Don't even try to tell me dogs aren't affected.  She was. She seemed lethargic after that.  I, in the meantime, acquired a great, much needed,  full time job and wasn't able to be home all the time.  So, the search began. 

This brings me back to last Thursday night. The Thursday after Valentine's Day.  I told my husband I wanted a dog for Valentine's Day, and as I said before, he wonderfully came through.  So, here I am, on this beautiful Sunday night writing about our new family member and I tell you, I'm in love.  So in love!  I didn't know it was possible. What is it with age that a person, me at least, feels so much more?  We named this beautiful creature Tasha.  It fits her perfectly.  Actually my husband named her.  She was a stray so they told him. He bought her from the community shelter where they were having an adoption marathon at the local Petsmart.  It was, of course, a 'special'.  For $34 we got her, she was spayed, cleaned up and recent on all her shots.  PLUS she came with a free vet check up which I have already used. 

Back to Tasha.  Her personality is of course, young.  She's only eight months.  However, she seemed to bond immediately. She sort of knew that we would give her a home that she had always wanted. Well, that she has wanted for maybe eight months.  She was a stray and her left eye looked damaged. It was extremely red,  blood red and there was this sort of halo at the bottom.  At her check up, the vet confirmed it was a "blow" to the head or maybe a "scratch".  She is NOT potty trained, let me repeat that, she is NOT potty trianed, so that is a challenge.  (Ug!)  Yet she is worth all the challenges for sure. 

I think that in my life, I have found that the loss of a pet is about as painful as the loss of a human.






 It becomes more painful as I age.  I get the sense that Tasha is immensely grateful to us for rescuing her from her cage.  I get the sense that she  believes she is now in doggie heaven.  I think it's me who has struck it rich.  The fact that little Tasha and Lexy are waiting for me when I get home, are there for me when I wake and love me unconditionally? I think it's me who is experiencing a bit of heaven. 




"I look up and I see God
I look down and see my dog
Simple spelling G.O.D
Same words backwards D.O.G

They would stay with me all day
I'm the one who walks away
But both of them just wait for me
and dance at my return with glee

Both love me no matter what
Divine God and  canine mutt
I take it hard each time I fail
But God forgives, Dog wags his tail

God showed up  and made the dog
Dog reflects a part of God
I've seen love from both sides now
It's everywhere, amen, bow wow

I look up and I see God
I look down and see my dog
And in my human frailty
I can't match their love for me

Wendy Francisico

No comments:

Post a Comment