Friday, May 17, 2013

For the Love of Dogs

So, Tasha, our beautiful little girl dog seemed lonely.  





Although she has Lexy, the alpha dog, to keep her company, Lexy's 13 years have taken a toll on her.  She likes to sleep most of the day and if you get in her space a little too much, she gets grouchy.  Things are always on her terms or nothing at all. 




So, young Tasha seemed bored and lonely.  When my son and his girlfriend would visit and bring their dogs, Tasha always seemed so happy, and played until she was totally exhausted.  So, we decided to find a friend for her and make him a permanent part of our family.  Enters: Milo, a beautiful, happy, sweet Australian Shepherd with bright blue eyes and a smile that would charm the grouchiest person.  


We did a meet and greet with Milo, Tasha, and Lexy and they all seemed happy enough.  We made it a done deal. Last Friday,a week ago to be exact, we adopted this good looking male dog.  Tasha seemed fine, but a little stand offish.  A week later she has resorted to hiding under the dining room table. (It's huge and had a little shelf where she sits and watches the activity in the room. ) She will look at me directly in the eyes with this forlorn look on her face that says, "how could you have made this guy a permanent fixture in our home????"  





Honestly it is heartbreaking.  I have done everything to try and let her know how much I still love her. Then, last night, I started getting annoyed thinking, "Really Tasha?  Really???  You still are the only dog sleeping on the bed, you get organic loaf dog food, a fantastic hike in the small mountain every morning, access to the inside and outside of the house, and yet you're upset that we now have Milo.  Fine, whatever...go to daddy."  







Yep, that's what I was thinking.

I sought out advice from an old pro at adopting and adding new four legged members to his home, and he came through and told me how I needed to behave with her and with Milo.  (Remember?  Lexy just sleeps.)  

Okay, I said all that to say this: having three dogs is not easy.  Sort of like having three children.  I'm not talking about things like feeding, and basic provider responsibilities.   I'm talking about the guilt, the uncertainty of exactly what to do and when to do it, the knowing when to say no and when to say yes.  And last but not least, wondering  do they still love me anyway???  

Maybe I'm getting old.  If I am, I think I am much wiser and much more aware of life and the important things while we are on this earth.  Relationship, that is the most important thing.  These four legged love containers have given me so much more than any human has.  It's true!  And the ones that I have lost, I think of them always, I always have regrets, I always miss them. 


I will have to stick this out and follow the advice my friend gave me. 



 And for sure I will pray for my baby Tasha...I will pray that she feels secure in our little home. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so WHAT was the advice? Did you get rid of the flies? I love your blogs, I love that you love your dogs..I love you.

    ReplyDelete