Sunday, August 3, 2014

War

My most formative years began with the civil rights movement.  A fraction of the people in our country were tired of being second class citizens. They were tired of not being able to sit at the same tables as most others, and they were tired of not being able to use the bathroom in public places.  I can see clearly in retrospect.



 But then I would watch the news, or happen to hear it when it was on, about how these people in the South were trouble makers.
A 17-year-old Civil Rights demonstrator is attacked by a police dog in Birmingham, Ala., on May 3, 1963. This image led the front page of the next day's New York Times.


They didn't use those words, but as a young girl of about 11, that's how I took it. There was nothing said on the news, or in the headlines, about how people were discriminated against because they weren't white. Nothing.

Fortunately my dad was jewish and taught me never to judge based on a person's color, beliefs or personal life style.  I will always be grateful to him for that.  One time he came home for a party and told us how he waked out because of some racist comments they made.  He let them know too, why he was leaving.  Good for you Dad!!!

The world  started to become more complicated with the assassination of our young president.





 It was like dominoes falling after that.   Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy, the Viet Nam war.  My little world was slowly being turned upside down.


I am part Jewish, and really have felt more Jewish than anything else.  Since this war in Gaza, I have been very defensive of Israel.  It is part of my heart.  I love Israel.  But I DO NOT love Netanyahu.  He has no interest in peace or innocent lives being blown away.  It has been horrendous, and yes, sometimes I wake up thinking about it and it's horrors.  As selfish as I am, I am only grateful it is not my family who live in Gaza and are Palestinians.

The people in power, their children aren't dead or severely injured because of the power issue there.  They are in their bomb shelters, and nice homes and free of harm.



 It is the innocentPalestinians who are suffering. It is the innocent Israeli's that suffering. And it is horrendous.



(suicide bombing in Israel)





I wanted to write this because I am grieved at the hell we have created.  Will it ever be better?  Will it ever end? My generation is extremely unsuccessful at bringing peace to a troubled world. We wanted to, we marched for peace, we sang about peace, we wrote about peace, we posted it on the walls of our homes, we wanted peace.  It just seems it's a ghost of another time.  I get made fun of because I talk about peace, love and unity.  But lately I've been defensive of Israel, forcing myself not to think of the hundreds if not thousands of innocent people blown up by bombs and other horrible weapons.  I had to force myself not to think about it.  When I think about it, everything changes.  Israel doesn't matter.  War is bad for children and other lvining things.  That was the slogan during the Viet Nam war.  So easily we forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment