Saturday, June 22, 2013

A True "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

I admit it:  I am a shopoholic!  I've gotten much better though! Or have I really?  And what's worse, I go to thrift shops which makes my buyting so much easier and more justifiable. .  Rarely will I visit a shop that sells only the new; maybe you could say I'm an avid recycler ! 

So, today I went shopping with my little sister who was here visiting from L.A. .  We went to my favorite thrift shop and there, we spent probably two hours, wandering, trying on, discussing, and deciding what to buy.  How could I refuse the sexy BCBG stilettos with the magnificant little platform.  (That little platform make stilettos so much more bearable, maybe even comfortable??) 

Beautiful aren't they"


People tell me I wear too much black sooooo there was this classy ivory linen shirt,  very Jackie O, made by some great designer.  It was just so incredibly inexpensive that I couldn't NOT get it! Right???

In any case, I'm on a strict budget and I have to be more disciplined...ha!...the story of my life.  It's just that when you love "stuff" as much as I do, well hey, it's my weakness. I just want to get one thing straight though, I am not a hoarder.  I will not be a hoarder.  Hoarding is just downright ugly! 

But I shop! I shop ebay, OneKingsLane, Craigslist, thrift shops, and the list goes on.  The online shopping usually is just window shopping, comparing prices and seeing what's hot  and what's not.  Also, ebay is a good way to find out what you have or want to have that could be valuable.  You might be surprised.  That's why when I saw this twig magazine rack that is probably from the '20s for sale for only $30, (Rich Girls Rummage, Phoenix) well, how could I say no...I mean really.  This stuff goes for over a hundred on ebay.  And it looks great in my little corner next to my black leather chair with the 'new' kilim pillow.  Yep, these pillow covers go for over $50.  Mine?  It was $5 on half price day at my local Goodwill.  





Speaking of the Goodwill, this fantastic blue, tufted leather office chair with a solid cherry wood bottom was $40...that's right, $40!  It's vintage and it's amazing.  Should I even tell you how much you would pay for something like this even from a vintage shop?  over $100 for sure.  And it looks mahhhvolous in our office.









Now, another shopping addiction is shown below.  I don't know why, but this is an oil painting that I fell in love with.  Sort of folk artsy, but it's not a print, someone painted this. I love the colors, love the subject.  Yep, had to buy it.  It was below $10.



Yes, I love to shop, don't judge me though, I don't always buy for me alone.  My sweet daughter who has two rambunctious, beautiful boys and one, active, loves to dance and do head stands, daughter.  Needless to say her furniture takes a beating.  I gave her our old, very beautiful leather couch which we bought from someone who was leaving the country.This was more than 25 years ago.  So this "beautiful" couch had seen much, much better days.  It was in her family room and every time I would visit, it sort of bothered me.  She wasn't really concerned even though her home is decorated with meticulous certaintity, and stunning taste. So, I'm at my favorite thrift shop and there,as I walked towards the back of the store, I looked and saw a great, comfy, amazingly clean and well kept couch.  It was ultra suede and a sort of off white, and yes, unusually clean.  Even the sales girl mentioned how new it looked.   I bought it for her for only $34 and her family room looks fresh, young and comfy.  It truly looks wonderful in her family room and is surprisingly easy to clean.


So, the pictures that follow are all photos of a few prized possessions that were found at funky thrift shops.

Take for instance this amazing wine rack.  I saw it, spent a few minutes pondering, and decided to refrain.  Then, a week or so later, my husband and I were clothes shopping  (For him, he has lost 50 lbs.) and he noticed the rack and loved it.  It was his idea to buy this time.  I couldn't have been more thrilled. It's obviously a hand made piece and  I love it!!! It looks absolutely at home in our kitchen next to our china cabinet.


The pic below is of yours truly, moi!  The whole outfit I'm wearing was a thrift shop find..  The belt is a particular favortie of mine.  It was a fantastic discovery from an L.A. thrift shop.  It's heavy mesh metal on black leather and has a sterling silver buckle.




Check out my chadlier!  Yep, thrift shop find...and sure looks better than the horrible 80's brass one. (Which I admit, will someday be considered vintage, but I'm still glad it's gone!)  Did you notice my pretty blonde lady sticking out from the wall?  Rich Girls Rummage...in Phoenix.  My husband and I did some research on her and found one online exactly like her, over double the price.







Even my appliaces were found on Craigslist...ooops..not the stove. That was my husband's boss's stove.  The enamal bread bin is an original that I found back in the early 80's at an English Flea Market in Leeds, England.



So, to keep from being a hoarder...I sell when I'm tired of what I have or when I want to change my look.  Below are two chairs I recovered in authentic suzani fabric, and sold for $30 each.







Maybe I'm writing this because I need to curb my enthusiasim for shopping...no, not maybe, I really need to. But for now, I'm taking one step at a time and making the best of it.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment