Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Thoughts On True Friends

Friend:  one attached to another by affection or esteem.  That's the Merriam Webster definition. I love my friends, and I believe I know my friends well.   But there comes a time when something happens between two people, (or more) and you realize you were, or that particular person wasn't, a friend at all. Just an illusion of friendship. 



Acquaintance:  :  a person whom one knows but who is not a particularly close friend . That's what you find out instead. That's what I found out instead.  

It's never easy for me to realize someone just doesn't like me. A huge blow to the 'ole ego.  Yet one thing in life is true: "Understand that friends come and go, but a precious few, who you should hold on."  Baz Luhrmann

I have come to accept the fact that I'm not the easiest person to hang with. There are certain conditions I have that will define my close relationships. Trust is pretty huge.   You can trust me.







 I expect the same back. 


 Be real.  






I am, and if we're friends, I'm assuming you're being real too. 





 When we disagree, we do it with love and each of us, in the end, will say to one another, "You could be right."  If those four words are said, nothing can break us up. 




So I'm going to awkwardly, carefully, and probably not successfully write about what is "tugging on the sleeves of my heart."  I had some friends, now I don't.  Now I see it's not such a big deal as I hadn't shared anything truly close in my life with them. 






We had fun together, chatted and laughed together, and then, parted...went our separate ways. Sad...but now I'm getting used to the fact that it's true, really true, that a precious few you should hold to. 






  

“A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” 
― Elbert Hubbard

That sort of sums it up in a nutshell.  I'm so thankful for the friends who still love me despite knowing me to my very core, and yep, still loving me.



No comments:

Post a Comment