Friday, April 29, 2011

Murray

I'm not sure how long my buddy, Murray, has now. He's an extremely handsome part chow, part retriever mix.  I've had him with me now for over fifteen years and the last few have been a bit rough for the poor guy.  He suffers from severe arthritis and is in considerable pain.  I believe the pain is minimized by his pain medication and anti-inflamatory meds.  Still, the last couple of days he doesn't seem to be able to hold a meal.  I won't go into details. 

It's very painful when a friend like this suffers and is on his last leg.  Grief is an interesting bedfellow...an interesting journey.  It seems the older I get, the tougher it is for me to deal with.  I probably know why that is. 

"No one ever told me that grief feels so much like fear." cs lewis.   (image from humblepiety blog)

I love that quote because it's so true.  Sitting around here, waiting on Murray now and then, sitting by him, stroking his head, rubbing his neck and kissing the side of his face is really all that I can do.  Why is it that dogs are so faithful?  Why is it that they never hurt you, always are there for  you and in some inexplicable way, know when you are sad? They rejoice with you when you are happy and always greet you when you get home as if they haven't seen you for years and are now at peace that you're home??????


Words are a bit hard to come by right now, but I feel the need to write.  Murrya is sitting here by me, licking his foot, looking around and seemingly doing okay other than panting.  I guess I'll give him some pain meds.  How does one deal with this anyway?  If you have a clue, I mean a good one, let me know. 

In the meantime....take care of those little guys, they don't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment