Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day and Other Meanderings.

So hey, happy Father's Day to all whom is appropriate.  You would think that I would spend more time on my own father, but, not.  I'm not going to do that.  He is, in all due respect, gone, and has been gone for a long time.  I will honor my children's father right now.  And maybe all fathers who are, by all means, imperfect.

When I married, I had NO idea what it all meant.  I had no idea that I would get pregnant shortly thereafter and have our firstborn.  I, indeed, was NOT prepared.  I truly wanted our first born to be four years later.  But noooo...it was only three months after we were married.  I thought I had a bad case of the flu.  When my husband came home from work on his bicycle from the parks district, I told him it wasn't the flu, but a baby.  He had this smile on is face that I really haven't seen since.  He just sort of stopped dead in his tracks and smiled.  The bike still under him, not put away yet.  And me? Standing there waiting for his reaction, and 34 years later remembering like it was yesterday. 

He loved our daugher, as imperfect as he was able, he loved her.  His own father being his own model.....and only the first 8 years of his life.  Then, four years after our first born, he was a father again, of a boy, a son.  My husband did the best he  could do, and that was huge.  I love him so for that. He still does the best he can do with his adult children. We are baby-sitting tonight....our grandkids.  My husband helped bathe and put to bed his grandkids...and in my opinion...he did a great job...and his grandkids opinon, I'm sure they'll remember their "gampa".  I love you Phil...for all you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment