Friday, July 1, 2011

Ramblings and Thoughts About Parents of Adult Children

I can't believe it... I wrote a whole blog on adult children and couldn't post it...






Well hey, I'll try it again. Sooo, what I was going to say is that there is plenty of stuff written about how to raise kids, certain characteristics of ages etc etc.  I don't see a whole lot on adult children so here's my take. Ready? Once a parent, always a parent. Even when our kids are grown adults, they're still kids to us.  In some ways.  I mean I can talk to my daughter and son about adult stuff...but there's this boundry that sort of says, "don't cross over, it's still my child."  You still feel their challenges, still cringe when you feel they've been hurt, or rejected.  You still feel this sense of pride when they've succeeded, when they're happy, when they've conquered their demons.



I may feel pride on their accomplishments and feel sad when they have failed, but I will always be proud of them  My goal for my kids, and always has been, is that they don't lose heart.  That they will grow spiritually, psychologically, and of course, emotionally.  I pray they will live life awake,  that they will be aware of each moment because there may not be another moment like this one. 

Life is strange and a crazy ride.  One thing I know for sure; it's about relationships.  It's about relationship with self and others.  Jesus was right when he said to love others as you love yourself.  I think he was the type of person who spoke to make you think deeper; to go a step further in your thinking and see  things in a different perspective.  A person really can't love others until one loves him or herself. It's true. Think about it.


image

Okay, well..I said much more in the previous blog..but it's late and I'll stop here.  Life is strange...it's fast and you only get one go at it.  I'm fortunate.  I feel like a cat with nine lives. I feel as if I've lived so many lives, so many places.



 I'm fortunate!  And now, of course, I'm a parent of grown children. That's a whole different ball game. You'd think more boomers would write about it.

Well..so it goes as Linda Ellerbee would say...take care and until next time...I still miss my Murman.

No comments:

Post a Comment